Solidly Built Teardrop Trailers
Even though the KnockAbout has a low price, we still build it from the frame up with strength, rigidity, and durability. Like all our trailers, the KnockAbout is lightweight, but not too lightweight. It's still heavy enough to give it a solid, smooth ride.
Trailer Frame Construction
You might think that a camper with such a low price is built on a less expensive trailer frame. Most others are.
But NOT at PeeWee Campers!
We use the same trailer frame on the KnockAbout that we do on our Half Pint and Half Pint ECONO models. This frame is built in compliance with the National Association of Trailer Manufacturers. We do make a few minor modifications on the frame to accommodate the KnockAbout's different design. But, like all of our trailers, it is made of 3/16" channel and welded angle steel with six cross members. It also has the same heavy-duty 3,500 lb. Dexter axle (NOT 2,000 lbs. like most teardrop trailers).
Other features of the KnockAbout trailer frame include the following:
- High lift springs for maximum ground clearance
- 3/16" rectangular steel frames welded to the base of the trailer at the front and back to provide additional support and rigidity for walls and roof
- A-frame tongue (NOT a weak straight-line tongue) made of HD channel steel with steel shelf to accommodate additional accessories
- 2" ball hitch
- Articulating, stabilizer tongue jack with wheel
- 2 stabilizing jacks in the rear
- Rear hitch receiver for cargo carriers and bicycle racks
- Heavy gauge safety chains
- 15" wheels (many teardrop campers use 13" and 14" wheels)
- 6-ply tires (many teardrop campers use 2-ply or 4-ply)
- LED running lights, tail lights, and stop lights
- 3/4" thick plywood floor with 6 cross members (bolted to the frame)
The way we construct the box or "body" of the KnockAbout allows us to put an "economy" price on this model. We build the box walls with Alumibond, which is a solid piece of plywood that has factory laminated aluminum on both sides. The aluminum has factory baked on white enamel. This gives you an inside wall that is just as nice as the outside. Many manufacturers use aluminum covered plywood only on the outside. The inside, in many cases, is either bare plywood, or it is covered with vinyl that can warp.
So many teardrops in the industry are made of plywood held together with corner trim. Our box system has an upright, rectangular steel frame at both the front and the rear welded to the base trailer frame. All walls and roof are bolted to these rectangular steel frames, making the box extremely strong and rigid.
Other features of our box include:
- Rubber coating on the underside of the floor
- 14" x 14" roof vent
- Wedge shape for better aerodynamics, which results in better gas mileage.